Literacy is more than just reading and writing; it’s a tool that empowers individuals to improve their lives. As the back-to-school season begins, Literacy Council Gulf Coast (LCGC) is committed to providing literacy services that cater to the unique needs of students across Southwest Florida.
LCGC’s Three Pillars: A Comprehensive Approach
LCGC offers three primary programs designed to enhance literacy and language skills. Each program is tailored to help students improve the quality of their lives.
1. Adult Literacy
- English Language and Conversation: Classes to help adults master English.
- GED and U.S. Citizenship Test Preparation: Guided support for crucial exams.
2. Worksite Literacy
- On-Site English Classes: Innovative approach to teach English to community employees.
- Career Advancement Opportunities: Employees become qualified for management positions.
- Removing Barriers: Making education accessible by overcoming challenges like transportation.
3. Family Literacy
- Carol De Joy Moms & Tots® Program: Empowering mothers with literacy skills and preparing pre-school children for school.
- Kids+ Lifelong Learning Initiative: Educating parents and children in Title One Schools, enhancing parental involvement in education.
Family Literacy: A Closer Look
Family Literacy encompasses two remarkable programs:
- Moms & Tots® Program: This unique initiative teaches mothers and caregivers in small groups, improving their English language and communication skills. Meanwhile, their children receive foundational instruction, ensuring a successful academic start. Remarkably, 100% of child graduates reach the program goal and enter school at or above level with their peers.
- Kids+ Lifelong Learning Initiative: Operating in fifteen area schools, this program enables parents to take an active role in their child’s education, leading to better attendance, graduation rates, and test performance.
Worksite Literacy: A Win-Win Solution
The Worksite Literacy Program is a groundbreaking method that encourages gated communities to invest in their employees. Residents volunteer through LCGC to teach English, enabling employees to create better opportunities for themselves. This program not only qualifies employees for management positions but also makes them more marketable individuals.
Join the Literacy Movement
Whatever the need, Literacy Council Gulf Coast is prepared to offer services that transform lives. From empowering at-risk mothers to helping employees advance in their careers, LCGC’s programs are a beacon of hope and opportunity. Interested in learning more or getting involved? Contact LCGC today!